british columbia, fishing, boating, social media, affiliate marketing

Calculate Your Carbon Footprint

• Comments: 6
  • Posted on: February 1st, 2009

ImpactBanner

I noticed last week while I was crossing the border into Washington State a new program has been implemented!

It’s really very simple and one in which many more businesses could certainly take part to reduce vehicle emissions in lineups. A traffic light has been installed and a sign requests motorists to turn off their engines while waiting for the green light to direct them to pull forward to the booth.

I drove past in the Nexxus lane and noticed many of the motorists were doing as requested. I think that’s a great first step by our Canadian Government and hope it is implemented at all border crossing – on both the Canada and USA side!

How much pollution damage does your vehicle do to the environment? Take this simple test from the Carbon Advice Group to determine the Carbon Dioxide you and your vehicle are generating.

The FAQ’s may provide answers to further questions about offsetting your carbon footprint.

Support My Sponsor

Code Of Ethics

6 Comments! What do you think? Leave a comment below...
  1. Sadie said on February 1st, 2009 at 7:05 pm

I think it’s neat to know what your carbon footprint is. It’s a great way to create pollution awareness. Here’s my question, though. What the heck is a carbon offset? I mean, I hear people talk about them all the time, and you can buy them to make up for your pollution or whatever, but what is it? Is it kind of like back in the old days when the Catholic Church told you that giving them money would make your sins be forgiven in the eyes of God? I mean, you’re just giving money to someone for something that’s done to the environment. How does anyone fix that with $2o?

Sadie’s last blog post..Love Is In The Air…

2. heatherinbeautifulbc said on February 2nd, 2009 at 1:33 am

Sadie, that’s such a funny analogy, but I think the carbon offset program provides actual value for the dollar in the programs which are supported!

The Carbon Advice Groups says, ‘… your money is invested in high quality, carbon dioxide reduction projects around the world’, including …’tree planting projects’, ‘…renewable energy sources….’ (like windpower) and energy efficient projects.

You may read more about some of the projects which are undertaken (and it’s very interesting) here: http://www.carbonadvicegroup.com/our_projects.php#british_projects

I don’t think your or my $20 can fix anything, but combined with many others, we will make an impact :)

3. Anna said on February 2nd, 2009 at 11:17 am

I’ve never heard of the traffic light thing before, but that’s a great idea. I turn of my car at train tracks, when you have to wait a while… but never for traffic lights.

4. daria369 said on February 2nd, 2009 at 12:33 pm

I’m always glad to hear about ideas like that – especially when people support and adopt them. In some European countries turning the cars of for red lights (except for the first car in line, I think) – has been in use for probably more than a decade.

daria369’s last blog post..In the Meeting

5. Jodith said on February 3rd, 2009 at 12:35 pm

I almost always turn off my engine while waiting in line at the border (especially when there’s a long lineup). I’ve noticed since gas became so expensive that other’s are doing so as well, but I’ve always done it whenever I’m in a line-up, including at any drive up windows I go to.

6. Judy said on June 11th, 2009 at 1:34 pm

ohh another act of Green, that’s a good idea, I actually do this, especially when there is a long train, once when it was cold it was ‘challenging’ to get it started but it is a great idea.

Judy’s last blog post..Skype